Friday, April 22, 2011

Baked Eggplant Parm

I found this recipe while cleaning up my cooking magazines. This was an advertisement for Newman's Pasta Sauce. I used my favorite spicy sauce from Trader Joes. Brian loved this dish. It was really easy to make and a much healthier version because you bake the eggplant, not fry it.

1/4 cup milk (I used fat free)
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups panko
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
1 large eggplant cut crosswise into 1/4 inch slices(I left the peel on)
cooking spray
olive oil
1 24 oz jar of pasta sauce
1 cup shredded mozarella cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Whisk milk and eggs in a bowl.

Combine panko and next five ingredients in a shallow dish. Dip eggplant slices into egg mixture then dip in panko. Arrange slices on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Bake 10-15 on each side. Drizzle with olive oil if getting too dry.

Decrease temperature to 375. Spoon pasta sauce in a 11 x 7 baking dish. Layer half eggplant slices over sauce top with more sauce and cheese. Layer more eggplant, sauce and cheese. Baked for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment